Building Inspections & Permits
The Building Division in the Community Development Department provides permitting services and building inspections for construction activities within the City of Owasso. The Building Division issues permits and reviews plans for all residential and commercial construction projects.
Our Location and Contact Information:
Community Development is located in the Owasso City Hall Building, 200 S. Main St. (west window). Office hours are Monday-Thursday 7:30a.m.-5:30p.m. and Friday 7:30a.m. to 11:30a.m. Our front desk telephone number is 918.376.1540 and our inspection request phone line is 918.376.1542.
Building Permit Report
A current monthly listing of permits issued for commercial and residential construction projects.
Building Permit & Tap Fee Schedule
The fee schedule includes fees for zoning, annexation petitions, site plans and plats.
PermitsPermits issued by the Building Services Division include the following:
- Building Permits: for any structural construction, alteration, remodel or reconstruction, including new construction for residential, commercial, or industrial, including room additions, interior remodeling which involves structural modifications, re-roofs, garages, carports, roofed patios, or any other accessory building.
- Swimming Pool Permits: for the installation of a swimming pool.
- Sign Permit: for the installation or modification of a sign.
- Banner for Non-Profit Organization: for approval of banners in connection with a non-profit, community or neighborhood center, public facility, place of worship, or educational institution. Applicants shall provide proof of tax exempt status.
- Electrical Permit: for the installation, alteration or replacement of any electrical wiring, electrical systems, electrical devices including, but not limited to, the installation or alteration of any wires or conductors for the transmission of electricity.
- Mechanical Permit: for the installation, alteration or replacement of any mechanical system, including but not limited to, ventilation and exhaust systems, duct systems, combustion air, chimneys and vents, certain appliances, fire places and solid fuel-burning equipment, boilers, water heaters and pressure vessels, refrigeration systems, hydronic piping, fuel gas piping and storage.
- Plumbing Permit: for the installation of any plumbing work, except repairs involving only the working parts of a faucet or valve, the clearance of a stoppage, repairing leaks, or replacement of defective faucets or valves provided no changes are made in the piping to the fixtures.
- Re-Roofing Permit: The City of Owasso requires a permit for re-roofs. The following items are required. Valley linings shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions before applying shingles. Valley linings of the following types shall be permitted. For closed valley (valley covered with shingles) valley lining of one ply of smooth roll roofing complying with ASTM D 6380 and not less than 36 inches wide or valley lining as described in R905.2.8.2 1 and 2 shall be permitted. Self-adhering polymer modified bitumen underlayment complying with ASTM D 1970 shall be permitted in lieu of the lining material. A drip edge shall be provided at eaves and rake edges of shingled roofs. Adjacent segments of drip edge shall be overlapped not less than 2 inches. Drip edges shall extend not less than ¼ inch below roof sheathing and extend up back onto the roof deck not less than 2 inches. Drip edge shall be mechanically fastened to the roof deck at not less than 12 inches o.c. with fasteners as specified in section R905.2.5. Underlayment shall be installed over the drip edge along eaves and under the underlayment along rake edges. Exception: If a nominal 1 inch by 2-inch shingle mold is used, attached to the fascia and the starter course of shingles is extended a minimum of ¼ inch and not more than 1 inch then a metal drip edge is not required.
You may submit the pdf forms in person or by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.For Individual Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Re-Roofing Permits email the following information to email@example.com: the job/service address; the customer's name and phone number; description of the work performed and type of inspection; and the company name, address, phone number and a copy of the Oklahoma State Contractor's License/Registration Card.
Please visit our Owasso GIS Mapping Tool to determine if an address is within our city limits.
Application for Certificate of OccupancyA Certificate of Occupancy, or CO, assures that all new construction or occupants meet with applicable zoning, building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, safety, fire and environmental codes. Its sole purpose is to protect the health, safety and welfare of owners, occupants and the general public. All existing commercial buildings undergoing changes in occupancy, use or function need a CO. No business may be opened until the Building Inspector, Fire Marshal, and Planning Manager have inspected the building and signed the Certificate of Occupancy. The CO fee is $100 and must be paid prior to all inspections.
You may submit your Application for Certificate of Occupancy in one of three ways:
- Email the completed form, then call 918.376.1540 to pay with credit/debit card by phone (no American Express). Please, only email the form if you're paying with a credit card.
- Mail it, along with your check or money order for $100.00 made payable to the City of Owasso, attention Cyndi Townsend, P.O. Box 180 Owasso, OK 74055.
- Hand deliver to City Hall at 200 South Main Street Owasso, OK 74055. Pay the $100.00 fee by cash, check/money order, or credit/debit card at the Permit Payment Window.
Fire Marshal: Johnny Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org - 918.272.4920
Planning Manager: Karl Fritschen at email@example.com - 918.376.1545
Before beginning any work, it is always best to check with the Building Services Division at 918.376.1544 or via email to see if a permit is required for the project you have in mind.
Construction codes adopted by the City of Owasso include:
- International Building Code, 2015
- International Plumbing Code, 2015
- International Mechanical Code, 2015
- NEC Electric Code, 2014
- International Fire Code, 2015
- International Residential Building Code for One-and Two-Family Dwellings, 2009