Partners in Prevention
With the community changes, the OFPA also widened its goals from just fire prevention to include life safety education as part of its focus. The Partners in Prevention program gave the OFPA the flexibility it needed to adapt to this new goal.
Key supporters of the Partners in Prevention program have been Mr. Michael Watson and Allstate Insurance. Mr. Watson became the front runner for the Partners in Prevention program and has been very effective in helping us reach our goals.
Many of our community programs have included:
- Public fire education, approximately 5,000 children a year
- Youth rodeos
- Child safety training
- Fingerprinting and home DNA kits
- Sponsoring a school to learn not to burn
- Helping to man booths at special events for fire prevention
- Helping with golf tours to raise money for OFPA
The secondary mission of the OFPA is the preservation and historical aspect of the fire service as a means of education. We feel that by preserving the past, and the sense of nostalgia it brings, we can reach more people with our message of life safety and fire prevention.