- One pint of used motor oil creates a one-acre oil slick – as big as 1/2; football fields.
- One gallon of oil contaminates one million gallons of water – a year’s supply for 50 people.
- One gallon of used motor oil can be made into as much lubricating oil as 42 gallons of crude (2.5 quarts).
- Each ton of recycled newspaper saves 17 trees.
- Using recycled paper consumes 70% less energy than to manufacture paper from trees.
- Glass furnaces melting recycled glass can burn at lower temperatures, conserving energy.
- 42.5 tons of glass could be recovered each year for each 1,000 residents if 100% was recycled.
- Making a new beverage can from recycled aluminum requires only 5% of the energy needed to make a can from raw ore.
- Each pound of recycled aluminum conserves almost 7.5 kilowatt hours of electricity.
- One ton of compacted recyclables conserves 3.3 cubic yards of space in a landfill.
- Each dollar paid out for recyclables has a true economic impact of $3.50.
- More people are willing to begin recycling for an ecological or charitable reason than to earn money for themselves.
Home | Contact
Us | Legal Notices | Residents | Business
Design and content Copyright 2012 by the City of Owasso.
All rights reserved.